Friday, February 18, 2011

I'm taking two courses this semester that are really forcing me to look at America from a critical point of view: Modern Political Theory and Intro to Humanistic Studies. Our first reading in Intro to Humanistic Studies is titled, "Dark Ages America, the Final Phase of Empire," by Morris Berman. He talks about how America is an empire in decline as a result of expansion, foreign policy, and an internal decay, a cause of value changes.

I am coming from a point of view of an American citizen raised in the middle class family and is currently educated. I can't help but voice something out for this brief time.

There are two main ideas I want to get out there, and a question that was posed by Morris Bermin that is a question we should all think about. First, I'm going to address the two main ideas.

The first is this. Our country has heavily created the notion that individualism is of virtue and that expansion is healthy and a sign of success. On the contrary, this highly held view of individualism has, in many ways, corrupted our value system, which once was held in 1790 to be that a good citizen is a person who serves their community. Ask yourself this, "Have I been pursuing my own interests or do I behave in a manner that is beneficial to the collective whole?" Bermin dubs "What's in it for me?" the motto of our time. At its core? Obviously selfishness.

The problem, Bermin says, is that Americans have become so wasteful, and at the same time, we, the United States, have a $8 TRILLION trade deficit, and our national debt is through-the-roof catastrophic. And to upkeep this "luxurious" lifestyle? We are lending money from Europe, Japan, and China to keep us afloat. Basically, we are an inflating balloon, highly unstable at that, on the brink of a major crash.

Any one of these countries can pull the plug.

Along with other ideas he stated in his book, Bermin concludes that the American Empire, just like the Roman Empire, will fall. As my Modern Political Theory teacher puts it, this so-called "War on Terror," is basically a war against FEAR - how long do you think this war will last? The "War on Terror" is just another price we have to pay as an empire. After 9/11, America militarized, passed the Patriot Act (which basically allows the government to spy on its own citizens), and turned into a police state. An empire is characterized just by that - a military force.

I'm not here to bash America, but I want to promote what Jimmy Carter tried to do in his presidency, which was encourage the American citizens to be more introspective. Bermin points out that appearance is not reality. It is definitely easy to get caught up in living so comfortably and to completely ignore the direction that American is heading in, even though we've been told so many times while growing up that America is the best, and that we have great healthcare and technology, when America is actually ranked the 36th in healthcare among the world, while someplace like Saudi Arabia is ranked 26th (from what I can recall). It's shocking, but so true, when Bermin, in an open dialogue, stated that the reason why Americans are so sick physically and emotionally is because people treat each other like garbage. And in part, Americans are becoming more and more isolated, due to the provisions of the car which creates alienated units. Just if you look on the highway, you'll see what we mean. Americans driving alone in an enclosed capsule for miles on end. But back to people treating other people like garbage, Bermin makes the argument that people just don't care anymore. When Katrina hit, all eyes were there, but weeks passed and so would Americans, looking towards the next event. We can say the same for Haiti. America's value system has not only changed, but it is taking probably the biggest toll on the country in terms of all the microscopic decision-making that is influenced by it that, in turn, turns into something macro. At this point, we are in a state of decline, and Bermin does not even have to argue his point as merely lay down the facts of his research.

My second main idea is this. In such an individualized culture, we are nonetheless built into a structure. But for a structure that is failing, we need structures that will provide solutions. Meaning, we can not afford to respond to our nation's problems by reducing our reliance to our self. We must not give up on structure, because a change in the nation's system would rely on a change that comes from within a structure.

This leads to Bermin's question, "Where are the leaders of power?"

And I certainly don't think he means the President. Where are the structures in a society that can be active enough to push America in a different direction? The church? Corporations? Where are these leaders who, in the context of a declining empire, can push change from within America? And I'm pretty sure it's not the government.

Something to think about.

As a Christian, I had values I wanted to spread to other people. In light of my being, I hoped that I would inspire people to be more outward seeking and caring. My zeal, I had not known then, made me an activist. At a certain point in my life, after observing my culture and searching for ways to improve it, I realized and admitted to myself that I was an activist. I wanted ideas to spread, values to manifest. That was my goal. But now, I am saying that I really am not out to get anyone. I am, though, living a life worthy to God, and I believe that through me, God will make things happen by His power. So then what about structures that can change the whole nation? Although I don't think that taking action by our own will is wise, I do believe that being not only aware, but self-improving (and not in the egotistical sense, but in the good will sense), is essential if individuals can make a difference - knowing that yes, there are people in power, but that on a certain level, we have to act smart as individuals as well in influencing people in power in order to really see that change happen.

I'd say it all starts with ourselves. Just take a good look at yourself and see where your values really lie.

I think that should be all, and I hope you can do further research on this topic or ideas I've discussed so far. It is definitely worthwhile as you are living in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment