Thursday, February 24, 2011

What We Can Do For the Environment

I think there are so many ways we can preserve our environment.

I consider myself an environmentalist primarily because I care about my health, but also because earth is not only my temporary home, but also the home of the generations after me.

I walk down Mount Royal Avenue and I hold my breath every time a car buzzes by with the fumes of its pipes offending my lungs. Immediately, I think: poisoning the air... [I gasp through the sleeve of my sweater]... gas chamber!.... and then a black and white photo of Anne Frank's face flashes before my eyes. My heart saps at the thought of a generation thenceforth where every person is walking the streets with a gas mask on their face. The human face will cease to be naked and the joy of an emotion-filled face will ever be a small, sweet taste in memory.

Although tigers are on the path to extinction for other reasons, wildlife is readily threatened by humans that cause pollution. I'm sure you've heard of the polar bears or seals that face a dim future because global warming is melting the glaciers they thrive on. Furthermore, when glaciers melt, oceans rise (because ice turns into water), and soon, we might not even have Florida to visit for vacation; Islands will completely disappear. The hope is that with a communal effort, we can drastically change the fortune of all that was said.

Jumo.com is an excellent resource for you to find a particular cause you are passionate about. For now, I am passionate about saving our environment. Humans are its biggest threat. Although environmental awareness has increased over these past few years ("the green movement" per se), I know there is still room for improvement. My goal, simply, is to spread this fervor for caring for our environment. In doing so, more people can commit to the cause and the outcome will be even better than it is now.

I have gathered experiences in order to suggest little things that WILL contribute a big difference in the ongoing efforts to help save our environment. Although I am providing a list now, the care for your environment, in order for persevering results, must come from you. When we care, we stay environmentally conscious, and everything else is rather easy. It might help to do a little research about our impact on this world because the better informed you are, the more you will care. I guarantee it.

So here it goes!:

+ Own a personal refillable water container! (I have a blue one and I take it everywhere with me, to class, to church, to the gym. It saves me the cost of water bottles - which uses plastic and are bad for the landfills - and it keeps me hydrated during the day! Good for the earth, good for your health.)

+ Separate recyclables (milk containers, coke cans, paper) from perishables (food, gum, wax, glue, you name it). If your neighborhood doesn't collect recyclables, you can easily take selected cans and plastic bottles to a nearby supermarket (like ShopRite) and get reimbursed 5 cents each! (and believe me, it adds up real nice, especially if you've just hosted a party - check plus). As for that stack of magazine, newspaper, or scrap paper, bag it and you can drop it off at a nearby building office that has accessible blue recycling bins all around. You'll feel good you did it, and that pile of paper can be useful for wiping your mouth the next restaurant you dine out at!

+ Bring a reusable tope bag to the supermarket! What made me realize this option is that Save-a-Lot, a nearby supermarket by MICA, upon request, charges up to 10 cents per plastic bag. So I forced myself to bring a reusable tope bag with me on my next grocery trip, BUT ever since, I've been feeling environmentally happy-with-myself. It's a waste to use so many plastic bags if one (or two) large durable one would suffice. Agreed?

+ Walk, Ride a Bike, but never leave your car idle! This is a terrible way for extra pollution to get into the air, so the next time you're waiting for someone in the car, turn off the engine!

+ It there's an electric dryer go for it! If there's a paper dispenser, limit yourself to one sheet. Better yet, AIR DRY. Just shake it off and swing your hands back and forth for ten seconds. That's all it takes. No pride is hurt either ;]

I hope you can take one or two or all of these into consideration. If you are interested in more simple tips on how to be environmentally friendly, google is your friend. The possibilities are endless. Find something that fits your lifestyle and switch up a few habits for the betterment of your earth which is so full of beauty! It is in your hands, I assure you, and you CAN make a difference.


love,

Steph

p.s. SPREAD THE WORD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment