Friday, March 9, 2012

On Being Human - Erich Fromm

I come across, once again, a book I was required to read an excerpt from called, On Being Human, written by the philosopher and psychoanalyst, Erich Fromm. It was sitting on my bookshelf for some time, and I decided to re-read what I had underlined during my freshman year at MICA for a class called Critical Inquiry. I read a few pages, and I was deeply impressed with some profound remarks made by Fromm, but most importantly, I am taken aback by the meaning, application, and relatedness of his thoughts on page. I decided to google him and his work on the Internet, considering there are usually supplements or other online, written work about his work. I stumbled upon a series of interview clips published in 2007, although I have reason to believe based on the grain and quality of the film that it is from a much former period of time, maybe the early or mid 1900s. However, On Being Human is Copyrighted in 1994, and reprinted in 2005. Therefore, this interview is very substantial concerning our current time period, and age. I highly recommend delving into his work, as it has the capacity to stimulate a higher echelon of human thinking we, I believe, burry at times to cope with the mundane or ordinary life that is an illusion of our making. Therefore, jump in: The Interview is continued through 4 clips; the first clip is provided, the others are on the right-hand side navigation column on YouTube. Enjoy! And I hope you gain insight and start to work your human capacity to exercise knowledge more as a being and not merely one who possesses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment